Queen Elizabeth Childrens Hospital
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children was founded in 1867 in Virginia Road, Bethnal Green, as the North Eastern Hospital for Children. The Hospital moved to Hackney Road, Bethnal Green, shortly after its foundation and was renamed Queen’s Hospital for Children in 1907. The Hospital was absorbed with the Princess Elizabeth of York Hospital for Children, Shadwell in 1942 and renamed the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children.
Thereafter the Hospital was administered as one establishment but functioned on two sites: Queen Elizabeth, Hackney Road, and Queen Elizabeth, Shadwell. A third site at Banstead, Surrey, the Banstead Wood Country Hospital, was opened in 1948. The Shadwell site closed in 1963.
1948, the hospital became part of the newly created NHS. 1996, the hospital became part of The Royal Hospitals Trust, now Barts and The London NHS Trust. Michael Jackson made a visit in 1992.
1998, the services of the hospital were relocated to The Royal London Hospital, where they retain their historical identity through their current name, The Queen Elizabeth Children’s Service a title granted by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth.
The hospital had one of the country’s most important pathological laboratories for the investigation of child diseases